Thursday 11 October 2012

My 10 plus 2 education





My life in Oriental College Patna City


Before you start reading this post let me tell you that this blog is not about the Oriental College but my journey to and in the college. 

Highly Ambitious excited high school graduate

I am originally from Kannauj Uttar Pradesh. But because of the nature of Dad's job, had to roam around all over north india. I had been to Jammu & Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar as part of that. I completed my 10 and 10+2 when I was in Bihar. Later on I moved to Mysore Pune and Now London(UK) for work. 

When I was studying in 10+2 at Nadi Ghati Yojna High School at Valmiki Nagar (West Champaran, Bihar), I was almost flying in the sky. I used to think that even the best 10+2 colleges are not beyond my reach. The colleges will be lucky to have somebody extremely talented student like me. I got the biggest shock when I passed my 10th with mediocre 72%. I blamed everybody around for this but not myself. But still I thought that I can get admission into a good college in Patna. So I applied in Science College, Engineering College (This college does educate 10+2 as well , Don't be confused by the name) and BN College. I didn't try any other college as was sure to make into one of them.

Well dreams are seldom real. The results were out and as many would expect I didn't make it to any of the above mentioned colleges. Even second & third lists brought nothing but disappointment for me. I would have made it too AN college but I didn't apply. So I almost felt like I have been f#$Łed big time.

Finally it came to a point that I need to take admission wherever I can. I asked several people about where can I get admission without having applied earlier. So I got this college Oriental College in Patna City. For those who don't know, Patna City is not the real Patna but its kind of Patna extension if you like to call it. There is a famous Gandhi Bridge(setu) build on the holy river The Ganges.  If you cross the bridge away from Patna, Patna City starts. I hope I did make some sense here. Apologies if I didn't.

Well, I filled the application form and got the admission. It was one of easiest things in my life to get admission into that college. After that much of hussle it definitely was. Well to be honest that college wasn't that bad at all. And as people say you can't travel beyond your destiny allows you too. So I told myself that I have to give my best here too.

As Math was my favorite subject I choose Math, Physics and Chemistry as my main subjects. The good or strange things about Indian cities/metros is that You may be studying in Hindi/Marathi/Telugu/Tamil mediums till your high school. But If you go out to cities for 10+2 you need to adjust in English Medium. Not the easiest things to do considering the pressure of studies in there. Also in India people say 10+2 is your career maker/destroyer time in anybody's life. Off Course they don't consider sports, entrepreneurship, acting etc as a career option at that stage.

I was no different but had to tackle with the change of medium issue. Its almost same as if Somebody living in Poland is asked to live in Sri Lanka. It takes time and effort to cope up against the change of medium. I too tried my level best and eventually succeeded.

Oriental College had an administration building. There was only one 4 storey standalone building where all the classrooms and labs were provided. I must say the kind of faculty they had is really commendable. There is nothing wrong in accepting what is truth. I didn't attend many classes/labs there but the quality of education from the faculties was really good. May be students are not good enough there. 



I made two very good friends out there Dheeraj and Amit. They were an integral part of my life those days. Unfortunately as I had to move to Uttranchal for my further studies, I lost touch with them. I hope I can get in touch with them sometime. May be this blog will help me to reach them.

Coming back to college again, There were no mid-term/half term exams in the college. Sounds awesome Isn't it? So I spend two years studying and enjoying my life in the college. I can't believe that till that time computer was part of my life in theoretical manner only. I had never touched a computer physically. Don't think it was 1970s but I am talking about 1998-2000. Probably I was lagging behind where the world already was. 

Nevertheless I completed my 10+2 from the college with almost the same score as high school. And luckily I managed to crack UPSEAT as well and got admission into College of Engineering Roorkee(Mechanical Engineering). Please visit my other post for my experience out there. 

Thanks for stopping by !!!

1 comment: